Transgender and gender-variant people are disproportionately targeted in violent crimes, and have a higher suicide rate. They are more likely to be estranged from their families or end up vulnerable without adequate support. There are likely to be hundreds of transgender Does filed in cold case files as either “Jane” or “John,” which may or may not match the gender they lived under or the descriptions anyone looking for them may have given. We will seek out and find these individuals who have slipped through the cracks so that they can have a chance of being identified using the latest advances in forensic science and technology.
Trans Doe Task Force finds and researches cases of LGBTQ+ missing and murdered persons, especially focusing on unidentified individuals who may have been transgender. TDTF advises and educates the public, media, and forensic professionals about the needs of and differences between Trans Doe cases and other Doe cases. The TDTF can also assist law enforcement departments, medical examiners, and forensic anthropologists with getting their cases worked on by forensic genetic genealogists and has a Trans-led forensic genetic genealogy team in house.
LAMMP (LGBTQ+ Accountability for Missing and Murdered Persons) is TDTF’s database of missing, murdered, and unclaimed LGBTQ+ people which was created to serve the community and attempt to match any unidentified people with missing people whose cases require LGBTQ+ informed care and consideration as well as providing case support for the families and friends of missing LGBTQ+ people. LAMMP is private to protect the details of missing people who may be endangered.
- TalkDeath: Necropolitics and the Erasure of Trans and Non-Binary Bodies in Death
- The Fall Line Podcast: Julie Doe — Unidentified
- Oxygen: Meet The Trans-Led Group Helping To Find Unidentified Missing Non-Binary And Trans People
30 Jun 2022
- WTHR: Meet the trans-led task force who helped solve a rural Indiana mystery
30 Jun 2022
- The Race: Meet the group that works to crack transgender cold cases
10 Jun 2022
- Harris County medical examiner teams with nonprofit to identify transgender, nonbinary crime victims
12 May 2022
- Madison Magazine: The skeleton in the chimney
10 May 2022
- Oxygen: Chicago Transgender Woman Found Slain In Trash, Family Demands Answers
25 Mar 2022